View technorati.com Add to Technorati Favorites

Thursday, July 20, 2006

String Theory


How could it be - (but then how could it not be) that Mr. DD and I were slow dancing to some sort of Cajun Blues in the salt water pool on Tuesday night with a lovely floating sprinkler spraying cool water all over our salty bodies... and then 8 hours later eveything turns sour.

I received an email from a young woman I've gone out of my way to accomodate regarding housing. She is a Katrina ex-patriot who is trying to start a new life here - for awhile anyway. I am sorry to say she took advantage of me and as much as I was looking forward to getting to know her as a neighbor I am glad she isn't moving in. Better to know someone's true colors now before I've invested even MORE time than I can afford to spend. Daylights burning and all that...

For the past week I've been speeding up and down the interstate, an hour each way, to commute to a class I am teaching for the next two weeks. Anyone who has been reading this blog for awhile probably knows that the automobile is my least favorite mode of transport, never mind that its an unairconditioned automobile... If one enjoys commandeering a speeding furnace at 75 mph or more - well - they must be NASCAR fans... which I am not. It could be worse. At least its not I95.

This is not the week for friends, family or strangers to waste my time. Other weeks I look for distractions... not this one. Every day I watch the roads like a hired gun in search of a radar detector. I try to avoid patrolmen and stay behind someone traveling slightly faster than me. It is as close to unbearable as I can imagine spending two hours a day - the return trip each afternoon being the worst.

Yesterday I finally remembered to pack my swim suit and goggles and stopped by the salt water pool on the way into town. Ahhhhhhh. It made such a difference having a cool place to dive into rather than walking into my hot house and annoyed cats. Finally, I thought, as I drove home, this is the way to do it. I can get through this two week run if I drive directly here when I pull into town. I was relaxed! I was cool! I was in heaven! I came down the hill past
the Diamond like a cool breeze - until I saw the white patrol car sitting at the bottom of the hill. It was too late. I don't even know how fast I was driving. He turned on his lights. I pulled over. I was still in my swim suit and hadn't even had time to put on my seat belt. He was a giant arse about the hows or the whys and gave me two tickets. Its amazing how one can feel so good one minute and the next minute feel like they are having a heart attack it hurts so
bad. Of course its not the money. Its the (**&*@ insurance and driving record that I hate to think about. I haven't told Mr. DD since he pays the insurance premiums in our house.He has his own history with the DMV. Soon enough.

After my fall from relaxation I drove home, belted into the blastingly hot seat and waited for a contractor to show up. We had a 7pm appointment. I started drinking at 7:30 to ease my distress and impatience with the world and called him at 8pm after waiting for an hour. Don't tread on me this week, world. I've had enough! I realized this morning that I left town without my DL, Am EX, VISA and Debit card. It had better be at home or I am super screwed since I am leaving for France on the 28th. Triple sigh....

Please, please, please, lets snip this string of bad luck before it tangles up the rest of my time this month. Any prayers, good spells, candles or wishbones you can send my way would be appreciated.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger ..................... said...

and i'll always take time to read your words, which I'll do right now :)

7/20/2006 9:56 PM  
Blogger ..................... said...

eeee, just finished reading....
sweety, should I bring over the vodka?
I'm really sorry you had such a lousy week. I'll tell the world to tiptoe around you and send all the luck I can. xxxooo

7/20/2006 10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Schaumi -
Vodka sounds good. I prefer the clear liquores when the temperature is over 90.
Gin doesn't sound too bad, either but the temperatures have broken so I am trying to work, work, work tonite. Leaving on Friday.

ar-
Its funny you mention that car since it was abandoned after it was towed by those merciless Ohio patrolmen. They were heartless but then when NOLA needed to reel in the corruption in the local police force in the 90's who did they recruit? Those boys in blue from Ohio.

I WISH I were going to be in France in Sept. I'll be flying back on Aug 28 to begin the work year. So - I am assuming that your move went well and that you are unpacked since you are back on the blogradar. Did you find a place as wonderful as your other one?

7/22/2006 10:06 PM  
Blogger ..................... said...

Bon voyage, dd.
Je suis tres fatigue mais will email you tommorow.

7/22/2006 10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home