View technorati.com Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Weeding the Garden

Tomorrow Mr. DD and I will celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. We chose the summer solstice to be married on as a symbol of our love and the productive and promising parntership we were embarking on. Ten years later our love has endured but mid-life crisis and creative stasis are the likely culprits impairing our professional lives. These dark clouds pull us down. At least we are both in a slump. It's harder when one is riding the wave and the other is lost in the tidewater. Like the image above, from a Sam Shepard play I really loved, these times of faithlessness are universal, so southern, so familiar.

Mr. DD and I are both very much like those sleeping plants that will endure neglect almost indefinitely but as soon as the rains come or someone takes it upon themselves to encourage their growth with a wee bit of care and nourishment they flourish. We have tried to be that for each other and that is enough to keep us going but it isn't enough to propel us off the creative plateaus we both seem to be stuck on.

Oh, its a good bet our ideas are worthy of pursuit (have you been to the movies or an art gallery lately?) but there is that existential WHY? What does it really matter one way or the other? Perhaps we aren't hungry enough or ambitious enough anymore. We used to think it mattered and that was enough.

One thing I did about ten years ago was try to cultivate healthier friendships. I had a lot of crazy friends whose lives were always full of drama and as a consequence mine (always behind the scenes) was equally dramatic. These crazy makers were interfering with my work and goals do I decided to make some changes. It was a good thing in the end but it was hard. I just walked away and left the garden behind.

During my 20's and early 30's there were times when I wanted to walk out the door and never look back. I don't miss that. I don't feel like that NOW... well maybe sometimes... a little... but like then, it passes. For one thing I have Mr. DD now and I would never leave him. Together, well, it would be good for us but it wouldn't be easy. He's a native son and all that... his voice is relevant here and we would miss that.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger ..................... said...

it matters, dd. because after all is said and done there is art. art endures..

6/20/2006 12:46 PM  
Blogger "" said...

Yes, Yes, I know. Life is short and Art is long. That is the lesson of the millenia for us... still, why does it have to be so gnikcuf hard? I know, I know... count your blessings and all that. Life isn't a bowl of cherries (my dad's favorite point to begin with when lecturing... art endures.

6/20/2006 1:28 PM  
Blogger ..................... said...

if it were f...ing easy it would be boring?

ps: storage unit and movers are in place.
all without a single expletive. i'm still stunned....

6/20/2006 1:52 PM  
Blogger "" said...

Hey... it's not the making that is soooo hard! Its the burden, the weight of its presence all after these many years. I've been fortunate to have known a few collectors in my day but still, it takes up space and costs money to store.

Its the c a r e e r part of being in the arts that can be so demoralizing. Success is the exception rather than the rule... its a curse, really. (a popular theme of late!)

6/20/2006 4:00 PM  
Blogger ..................... said...

yes, you are right of course. i really just hadn't thought of the career part of it and what a drag it can be.

6/20/2006 8:10 PM  
Blogger "" said...

Mr. DD and I know it is supposed to be hard and we've both taken our turn at bat many, many times... we've just been doing it for long enough that we thought it would be a l i t t l e easier by now. Either we are slow learners or late bloomers or, as I like to tell it, potiential Madame and Mesiur Executive Directors of the Coulda Been Club. Bonjour!

6/20/2006 10:11 PM  
Blogger ..................... said...

you are up to something..

6/28/2006 7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been adding posts from earlier this year to both this blog and my other one.
I've also been helping out with our gallery's new blog.

Still, I have one month before I leave for a month so there is much to do.

6/28/2006 8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Schaumi -
You should check out this blog:
http://www.anyresemblance.typepad.com/

Hey, at least it wasn't 110 degrees outside... in many ways that's worse.

6/29/2006 10:49 PM  
Blogger ..................... said...

i've visited there before.
i'll go back. i now have a 'blogger' email address i can use.
you can use it. it's there for anybody to find.
so what's with your disappearing profile?
rethinking your identity?

6/29/2006 11:13 PM  
Blogger ..................... said...

we are baaaack!

7/08/2006 4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home