View technorati.com Add to Technorati Favorites

Sunday, February 05, 2006

A universal truth?



What is it about men and TV's? I walk through the lobby here several times a day and its like I am invisible. Thats fine with me. This afternoon I was on one of my pointed walks where I actually have a plan and a map and some idea of what I will see and I come across a television by the trash. I am always finding things on the street and could probably furnish our apartment with things I've been regifted from the sidewalk.

The TV had all its cords and remotes so I stuffed them all in my pocket and picked the thing up to walk what would normally be a simple 15 minutes walk at most. It was heavier than it looked. I stopped every four minutes to rest. As soon as I walked in the lobby here it was like I dragged in the golden fleece. Never mind the fact that the security guards were already watching a color TV with some sport being played.... not American football and not soccer. I couldn't figure out what it was, actually. As soon as they saw my TV there were 20 questions - and they barely speak English, if any - and I certainly am not much of a French speaker.

Immediately one of them wanted to commandeer the TV to see if it worked. (I think there must have been another game on another channel and they wanted to watch two at once...) anyway... I let him since I need extra points with the security guys since I lost my keys my second day here and occassionally I get in after the gate is locked and I need to knock on the window to get them to let me in. That won't get me out of paying for the lost keys but I am still hopeful that they will be found and turned in.

Anyway...it looks like the tube on the TV is going out so they immediately lost interest in my big black box. I dragged it upstairs anyway since the lift was working and I will see if it takes time to warm up. I really only want one to help improve my French - plus I've heard of a hilarious marionette program that comes on every night that riducules Bush and his cabinet of ghouls. That's worth the effort it took to drag it here if I can get the thing to work.

The superbowl is tonite which I don't care much about one way or the other but IS such a spectacle the French are impressed by it. It would have been fun to invite a few of my neighbors in to watch it. Now, if only I had a case of Miller Pony's - the CHAMPAYNE of Beers... that would make it a truly American experience for them. Our Australian friend Ashley really enjoyed discovering those things and drinking them like water. It was funny... a wee spectacle in the dead heat of summer. Miller Pony's are certainly something I NEVER think about but when a foreign visitor is deeelighted ny them they take on a whole new light.

That's what I am hopeing I will find here with my art... a foreign delight that hasn't been evident by the many art professionals on the other side of the water. That's another blog, another time, another place...

3 Comments:

Blogger ..................... said...

does blogger loose comments.
i thought i had commented something a while ago...
maybe it's just spaced out ole me.
hope you got that tv to work.

2/05/2006 7:15 PM  
Blogger pdxbiker said...

A TV, especially one of those plasma models, is the ultimate form of conspicuous consumption. It is not only expensive but its utilization requires forgoing any productive activity.

2/06/2006 5:00 AM  
Blogger "" said...

Oh, its an illumination thing! Little investment (umless its jumbo, state of the arrt...: big return...I get it.
Thanks for enlightening me!

2/08/2006 5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home