View technorati.com Add to Technorati Favorites

Thursday, December 22, 2005

The truth hurts


This past saturday was a long journey full of detours and discoveries. I realized late in the afternoon that someone I love to hate, our mayor, is even more complicated than I realized. Maybe I hate him less but it is certain he is still a wolf in wolf's clothing. (Or more accurate, a Republican in Democrat's clothing)

I voted for him when he ran for governor. He won and was the first black governor in the United States and I was very proud to be a part of all the hoopla on inaugeration day. It was sad and unfortunate that he turned on his constituency when he tried to elimate public art institutions and cut teacher's salaries as governor. Now, as mayor, lives in a house full of art and is still managing to close the doors of art establishments. I guess he thinks art is only for rich people. My husband's friend who told me of Wilder's love of art wrote a book about him and knows him...so I am assuming he knows first hand.

Early in the evening we had the curious pleasure of attending a reception for an art exhibition of Mayor Wilder's daughter's paintings, Lynn Wilder. I have been following her work since the 80's and was excited to meet her. The image above is my favorite painting in the show.

Daddy/Mayor was there, too. One of my favorite painters in town was there and he told a story that reminded me of why I make art... and maybe why other's choose not to look at art in general.

My painter friend was hired by "King's Dominion," a regional theme/amusement park, when he was 17. He was hired as an on-site portrait artist, the kind on display near tourist attractions like St. Louis Cathedral and Notre Dame. A woman and her son came up one day and the mother sat down to have her portrait rendered. The son stood behind my friends's shoulder and watched, which is what the whole process if about, really. (Whoever hangs these things on their wall?) The son was going nuts exclaiming how much it looked like his mom. My friend kept on track with his charcoal until the mother insisted that she be offered a peek. The drawing was flipped around so she couls see it. She was aghast and exclaimed "if I looked like that all the time I would walk around with a bag over my head." My friend responded "Yeah, the truth hurts."

That evening the King's Dominion staff took my friend's smock taken away from him and he was fired and told he didn't have the King's Dominion spirit...:(

Oh, we howled at that one. I love this story because I think it sums up our populace in so many ways. People don't like art because it aspires to tell the truth...even when it lies the lie is there for everyone to see. An acknowledged lie is the truth. They prefer the comfort of religion or whatever institution they have faith in... preferably something that veils the conflicted nature of man into a landscape of black and white.

Oh, the truth hurts!
Happy Winter Sostice, everyone!

3 Comments:

Blogger ..................... said...

Happy solstice to you too. That was a funny story. The truth does hurt.

12/22/2005 1:33 PM  
Blogger Foilwoman said...

Well, portraits can be brutally honest or a little soft-soaped. Certainly portrait artists have to learn how to soothe egos more than landscape or abstract artists. It does make you wonder about the accuracy of portraits before photography -- except Velazquez, maybe.

12/23/2005 9:55 AM  
Blogger ..................... said...

Looks like a great painting over the computer. You had not included that when I first checked out your post.

12/23/2005 12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home