View technorati.com Add to Technorati Favorites

Saturday, December 31, 2005

Meditations on cheese


Yesterday, Dec 30, was the one year anniversary of my return home to my beloved after a four month residency in Paris. I was really ready to come home. Are there things I hated leaving behind? Yes. Cheap wine and cheese, incredible markets and monuments to the sublime, the ridiculous, optimism and arrogance. But, most of all I miss the cheese.

Particularly Roquefort which can be purchased in my neighborhood here at a price similiar to gold per ounce.

In 10 days I'll be returning to Paris and the first things I'll shop for will be a good, cheap pieces of French country bread and a chunk of Rouquefort. The title link will take you to an article on the history of Roquefort. Now I understand one of the reasons its so pricey - of course the exchange rate doesn't help matters any.

The link above will take you to a site which is collection of writings by an American who lived in Paris and wrote for Time-Life books for many, many years. He is in his late 80's and spends most of the year in Paris still living in a 5th Floor walk up in Montparnasse. I am a big believer that part of his vitality is due to climbing those stairs everyday as well as the knowledge that he can live freely in a city that he escaped on bicycle the day Hitler's troops marched into town.

Vive le France!
Vive le Roquefort!
Oh, and Happy New Year!

3 Comments:

Blogger ..................... said...

Jan. 1 06

ah, yes, the cheeses.....
hmmm....

1/01/2006 5:23 PM  
Blogger ..................... said...

I took the time to read the link.
My mother has a friend who is about 85.
She still climbs 5 flights of stairs everyday to get to her apartment which she has lived in for 50 years. She still is a sprightly woman.

1/02/2006 9:29 AM  
Blogger "" said...

Yeah, I think we should learn from our elders... all we need to do is climb more steps to make us strong and be brave.

1/02/2006 11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home