View technorati.com Add to Technorati Favorites

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Contemplating a Goddess


There was a plan for Thursday evening. Not a good one, but a plan. All time tables and directives to meet up with my beloved went out the window at some point. I drove across town to see an art exhibition/Katrina Benefit after I waited and looked for him. I had a piece in the show plus I had planned on meeting a woman there who expressed interest in my work. Would husband there? Maybe.

I climbed several flights of stairs after waiting for an elevator and walked in to see a truly depressing art installation. Some of the work was very good but its installation just made everything worse. No husband. I didn't see my work anywhere. As a consequence I didn't see the collector either. One major distraction was the sight of an old friend I hadn't seen in several years.

When I met this woman in the late 80's she was one of the most stunning, natural beauties ever...like a colt. She was a beautiful beast that had been tamed by the reverent world around her... a traffic stopper! A lover of women, this made her beauty even more mythic to the world around her.

Someone completely unselfconscious about her looks, she had a beautiful, humble heart and made no attempt to submit her will to the legions of men and women who vied for her favors. It think its harder to watch someone past their prime when their peak inspired poetry, conflicts between the sexes and even great art! Why is it so hard to witness great beauty fade? Maybe it's because the fading process makes me feel older. Everyone basked in her glow. We had a show together in New Orleans in 1994 and she sat in the passenger seat of my Bronco II as we made the 16 hour trek south. Maybe I fell in love with her on that trip...like everyone else. She was a pied piper that way... legal heroin for the heart.

Some women love watching a beautiful woman lose their power. Not me. Maybe its because this creature transcended all that and was as close to being a goddess as any mortal. She was as lovely inside as she was out and I am sure that is even more true now than ever before.

The venus de milos was once whole. Now she's not. Her marble still glows even with all of her imperfections.

5 Comments:

Blogger ..................... said...

dd,
Since we are using horse analogies here, don't you know that you were also a "colt"? Mr. S has been going through some old photos recently. You were a colt, babe. And now you are a beautiful woman both inside and out. And no, I am not going to be organized enough to get copies of these photos made to either send or bring.

12/11/2005 12:14 AM  
Blogger ..................... said...

...or email.

12/11/2005 7:15 AM  
Blogger "" said...

I think Mr. S must have middle-age eyes now which makes sense since he is obviously confusing my photo with that of my sister. She always had the high babe factor and all the boyfriends...(and today is her birthday, BTW)

I was the one who was expected to make good grades.

My friend mentioned in the post was a goddess. This must be something hard to imagine since she made Uma and Nicole look ordinary. She looks truly ordinary now. I don't want to post her photo for reasons of privacy plus I feel conflicted and guilty even noticing the fleetingness of her (our) youth! Its a curse.

There was an exhibition here several years ago titled "Beyond the Vanitas."
The work in this show addressed the fleetingness of life, youth and beauty and there was some excellent painting and sculpture to ponder... but nothing like this. Maybe she IS still inspiring art...

12/11/2005 8:12 AM  
Blogger ..................... said...

Actually I'm thinking I might know who you are referrring too.
Yes, E. was a cutie with a lot of makeup on (and you know I love her). But you had and have the eyes, the laughter and those legs.

12/11/2005 9:19 AM  
Blogger "" said...

It is possible we were all in the same place at the same time Earth Day in 1998. The Mummies were playing. It was a beautiful afternoon. I won a ribbon for a drawing of the friend of Mr. S. Mr S. commented that the drawing flattered him. I must admit it really did and he really hadn't earned that.

Do you remember two attractive blondes with long straight hair? They were definitly girlfriends and one definitly older than the other. Both women are extraordinary to this day but the younger one was the goddess.

12/11/2005 10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home