View technorati.com Add to Technorati Favorites

Thursday, December 08, 2005

December 8, 1980

I heard "Norwegian Wood" this morning on NPR. Tears resulted from experiencing the beauty of this song. It's the kind of music that is the seed for other art. As tears rolled down my cheeks I heard the last few words of the broadcast...John Lennon died 25 years ago today.

My heart doesn't feel 25 years older. I don't know if we appreciated the beauty of Norwegian Wood as completely 25 years ago... as a sophmore in College I working hard in the printmaking studio. My plate was on the press when I learned John had been shot. It was very upsetting... and even more so when my older peers standing around me dissed the Beatles. (ok, now I know that they weren't really good artists, either. Maybe they just didn't get it.)

Yoko Ono had a big exhibition here several years ago. An exhibition of Fluxus artists accompanied the exhibition since she was also part of that group when John met her. It was a gorgeous, poetic installation made even more so when one of the Fluxus artists passed away during the run of the show. He was in his mid 50's and an avid jogger. He was on the road when he dropped dead of a heart attack. As shocking as it was, in my opinion it was the best way to go if you gotta go.

There was a beautiful memorial service for him in the galleries that contained Yoko's work...art that was very light and ephemeral. After the service everyone could walk upstairs and see Davi det's work in the Fluxus show and for the first time I really believed that art transcends life.

Norwegian Wood reminded me of this transdescence this morning. I can't think of a better reason to go to the studio.

3 Comments:

Blogger Champurrado said...

Yes, a sad day. Funny how you remember hearing the news and where you were at the time. I was across town from the Dakota in a sublease on park Ave. when i listened to shocking events. Also so difficult to think I'm 25 years older now.

12/08/2005 12:53 PM  
Blogger ..................... said...

I heard 30 seconds of that on the news this morning. It is hard to believe it was 25 years ago.

12/08/2005 5:15 PM  
Blogger ..................... said...

I'm sorry you missed K & S. School was cancelled here on Friday due to the ice. The storm came to their area a little bit later which probably meant that Saturday was still not condusive to travelling. What do you mean you need somebody to deliver our xmas loot. I thought ya'll were planning on delivering those yourselves:]. Do I need to call your mom to put pressure on your dad? Mr. S may be going hunting around the 18th for a few days - a first.

12/10/2005 11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home