View technorati.com Add to Technorati Favorites

Thursday, August 18, 2005

A Dog's Day


It has been one of those days when the phone has rung off the wall and I have been waiting for news regarding that damn public art commission I proposed.

Maybe it will work out. Maybe not.
Either way I need to know last week.

While I was waiting for the phone to ring today I learned that a brilliant actress we know is fighting cancer and is in an oxygen tent as I write this. Another call confirms that a favorite cousin of mine lost a cousin our age on the other side of her family tree this week... a lovely man that I've met several times over the years.

He was about my husband's age. He died instantly in a car accident involving a commuter bus in Northern Virginia. It breaks my heart to have to add another name to the growing list of family or friends who have been maimed or killed in automobiles. Its becoming an issue with me.

His mother and my aunt both grew up during WWII and lost husbands, parents and other children during their many years. They have experienced enough pain in their lives... now this. Dimintri, may you rest in Peace.