View technorati.com Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Changing my Tune


Please note that I've changed the address of this blog if you happen to have it linked to your site.
My original address for these postings can best be used elsewhere.

Last night we watched the ode to Six Feet Under. Allan Ball is such an artist. What an experience it must have been to work for him. We are excited to see what he does next. His work is so personal, so risky, so real. His sister died in an automobile accident which puts a whole different spin on the show. I nearly lost my life in an automobile accident and many of my relatives have either dies or been horribly maimed at the wheel of a car. Everything changes. The point was made last night that our culture is so inept with dealing with death that we won't allow photographs to be made of the caskets being shipped in from Iraq. Poof. We are gone. The rest is fall out.

Its not often I use my writing time to talk about something I saw on television but when its art I quess the medium doesn't matter. Six Feet Under had such resonance with us... particularly now. Frames from the show seem to be straight out of the history of painting... they are timeless images yet they push the boundaries of what has been done before. That is what I want my art to do. Its not an easy thing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Champurrado said...

Amie:

Right there with you. We make an exception to the "no tv while in bed" rule every Sunday night for 6'. Big 75 minute finale this Sunday. Sad. Yes, we know they are only tv characters but Ball brought them all to life and death for us. Obviously I root the most for Rico and Vanesa. Such a good series.

8/16/2005 9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home