View technorati.com Add to Technorati Favorites

Sunday, August 05, 2007

birds and bees

We have many bees, ants, even a monarch or two in the garden these days. It gives me comfort. The world is a mess. Mr and Ms DD's infrastructure at home could use some retooling but as long as the birds and the bees find a welcoming environment we don't worry so much. Ok, Mr. DD does. I don't. When the wildlife disappears, well... it's time to question our protocals at home. When the animals leave I'll be right behind them. MANY years ago my dad proclaimed, upon my compaints about the backwardness of my homeland: "Daughter, Mississippi is last in everything. Its last in education and per-capita income, reading levels, etc, etc... and when the rest of the world goes to hell we'll be the last to go." It's weird. I am feeling that the rest of the nation has been following Mississippi's lead in regards to backwardsness - the difference is our D.C. leaders have their heads up their ass instead of looking over their shoulders.

I hope Papa DD is right since that's where we'll be headed when the going gets too tough for the birds and the bees and the Canadian Geese that have relocated to our neighborhood park. We keep our cats inside most of the time and if nothing else we'll need to look after their best interest!

My neighbor caught a rat in a trap this morning (maybe because we have cat's that can't roam the 'hood). That is one corner of the animal kingdom I don't wish to welcome into my domain. It was in his cage and it wasn't happy, screaming its displeasure. I was reminded of an article I read recently on the empathic, ticklish and competitive nature of rats. (If only the human versions running D.C. were so humane!)

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger darkfoam said...

i say...
let the weeds and the wilderness be..
and the bee's of course too

8/05/2007 4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

true confessions:
we turned on our ac today, august 5.
I think we'll refrain from turning on the one in our bedroom but we'll see.
I've been waking up in the morning with very puffy eyes and I think its allergens from outside:(

On the other hand I won't hear the cicadas or the birds in the morning once we turn it on.

8/05/2007 5:06 PM  
Blogger darkfoam said...

allergens do cause puffy eyes. and if you have a fan on that could aggravate it. that is unfortunate. there are certain times of the year where i would dearly love to keep the windows open but really shouldn't.

8/06/2007 8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home