View technorati.com Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Sad But True

An email is going around that includes a collection of what we are told are authentic vintage advertisements that are terrifyingly wrong. Everyone thinks they are funny, these old ads. I doubt this one is real. It's probably something a bored in-house designer put together late one afternoon when his or her boss was making a presentation and it was too early to go home.

Still, it makes me think of advertising we see today and wonder which ads are selling us things that will eventually kill us, maim us or make a lawyer and a plaintiff wealthy. It's happened before. Cigarette girls once handed our free packs of cigs at the art openings in the museum here!! I wonder if they were allowed to smoke them in the museum? Phillip Morris is a big art US art patron so you never know...

I taught advertising at the university level for many years and have tried to focus on selling things I could market without compromising my values... (ok, well, I did sell some mighty bad art back in the day when I worked on commission in the French Quarter) but OTHERWISE it isn't something I lose sleep over at night. Money just isn't enough for me and I have persisted in the luxury of living life as I see fit. Its a costly endeavor, not making money. I've learned that people with money are never expected to pay! Has it always been this way or just something made fashionable since the Republicans are running things?

Will cell phones be proven to be the cause of brain cancer? Depression, high blood pressure and heart attacks are on the rise since Bush was elected.We already know that plastic containers are contaminating the food chain and our fatty tissues due to so much bottled water and the misuse of microwaves. I read somewhere that microwaves are banned in Germany because they are considered to be unsafe. Does anyone know if this is correct? If so, well, another black mark on the risk side of the score card. As the husband of a favorite colleague said recently; on finding out a friend of ours has cancer: "we're all just sitting ducks."

Live each day as if it's your last since that's all we really have to go on. The rest is just a story or an ad trying to manipulate our motives and trick us from living our lives. Our housekeeper Ella Mae revealed this secret to me back in 68 or so but I didn't believe her. She was way ahead of the game, but that's another post for another day. If I seem glum I am not. I have a greater respect for cancer than the medical and advertising professions. It's a dilemma.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

Ironically, this morning a friend and I were talking about how we have been bombarded by propaganda since some time after WWII, the purpose of which is to get us to buy stuff we don't really need. The "natural" world is something we are supposed to fear and control with products that often poison it (and us). Better living through Chemistry! (Bah)!

Hormone replacement "therapy" was supposed to fend off heart disease, help our bones, and let us ignore the aging process. Except that it was later realized that it didn't help your heart, and maybe it increased your chance of breast cancer. Maybe the idea is to die of breast cancer before you have to suffer menopause...

Infant formula was supposed to be so much more modern than icky and embarrassing breast feeding...

Today, convenience is a big seller. Whatever your situation, you must not be frustrated by the inconvenience of walking or doing any unnecessary physical work. The products that "liberate" us are usually made of plastic, use resources and power, and do not recycle (nor does their packaging).

Of course, I have little to base my observations on because we unplugged our TV months ago. I listen to NPR, and I don't even "see" ads on my computer screen. What are we being sold these days? I really don't know, and you know what? I don't seem to be lacking anything.

Thanks for your thought-provoking post!

8/01/2007 2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey wiz.
thanks for taking to respond to my blathering. Its no wonder Gen Y has been readying for the apocalypse since they've been weaned from their instant formula...this is what they tell me, anyway.

Your situation sounds idlic but remember it can be good knowing what your neighbors are being sold since "no man is an island." It's hard to escape getting one's hands dirty when the rest of the world deals in dirt. sigh...

8/01/2007 3:28 PM  
Blogger darkfoam said...

HEEEEYYYYY! i remember buying some art off you from your french quarter days!!!!!
oh right....
it wasn't commissioned....whew...!

i still have to check out that info on microwaves in germany. last time i was there 6 years ago some relatives did have microwaves.
shoot a german aunt just called yesterday too. never occurred to me to ask.

well, i need to call some other relatives anyways. mayhaps i'll remember then.

8/02/2007 10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah, yes. I learned in NOLA that one who works on commission only would much rather make a sale at 20 percent less than retail than make no sale at all. I also learned that I could encourage people to buy what they liked even if I found it to be tasteless, corny or worse.

Yeah, I'd like to know more about the use of microwaves in other countries. It seems we do what we can here to avoid taking care of our population (note cost of prescription drugs and health care)
so selling people something that would make them less heathly seems par for the course.

8/02/2007 11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home