View technorati.com Add to Technorati Favorites

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

the life we pretend to live

We live very close to a number of excellent cafes and coffee shops. The closest chain is a mile away which is closer than we'd like.

Are blogs the the cafe society of our era? I am beginning to think so. If I had the time to hang I don't know if I'd find folks there I'd want to hang with or if I'd be willing to spend so much money on coffee on a regular basis. I make a pretty mean Cup of Joe myself and there are certainly times when I get a great deal of insight from my communiques here. Would I get as much out of my time with the barrista's? Not as regularly. We're all multitasking...meeting, planning, networking, listmaking, websurfing, etc.

There ARE places that defy these doubts but we are there far too infrequently to be considered regulars. Instead, here I am.

It's too late for me to drink coffee anyway and if I went to a bar/restaurant with good coffee I'd have to deal with the smoke of the masses. Living in a tobacco state is great for buying cheap cigarettes to give my European friends but it means we'll probably always have to taste smoke when we eat out for many years to come. Its not as bad as Berlin but its bad enough to keep me out of restaurants and cafes I love when I know they'll be full of smokers... Fri night at Cous Cous, for example!

In the meantime we look for places with patios when the weather is agreeable. We try to take in the present with a glass of wine of a cafe au lait and all is well with the world.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger darkfoam said...

when i come to visit, it's a treat for me to visit those cafes.
oddly, i often find myself visiting blogs with a cup of joe by my side.

7/14/2007 8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It IS the salons of our time. At some point I see each computer having its own videocam attached so the anonymous aspect of what we do will be less of an option - just wait. Will that be good or bad? I can't decide.

7/17/2007 9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home