View technorati.com Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, August 26, 2005

1965-2005

Rather than focus on my recent pathos (whining) I've decided to just post interesting pictures that I make me feel better in the meantime...if not better, then at least curious!

I did not take the photo above and didn't even own a camera at the time. My parents gave me a Kodak 110 when I was 9 or 10.

This was taken a few days before Thanksgiving in 1965. Thats me, fourth from the left on the front row. This art project was very formative to me since before it I was pretty lost and unsure of my place in the world. We were, of course, creating Indian costumes to celebrate Thanksgiving. I remember drawing my design on my cotton tunic and my kindergarden teacher held it up and make a big ooohhhhhh sound over it. She thought it was great and didn't make a big deal over anyone elses!

I realized I could do something special at that moment and that was important to me since I wasn't in the preschool reading group! (I noticed everything back in those days... I was lucky that my first grade teacher taught me a trick for overcoming my dyslexia before anyone ever acknowledged there was such a thing... I made straight A's after that...) During the past 10 years or so I've realized what important mentors my teachers were.

Last night I had a lovely moment. I was in bed early and the phone rang about 10:30pm. We assumed it would be one of my parents since they know that's the best time to reach me. My beloved came upstairs dubiously inquiring who was asking for me...

It was a slightly intoxicated former student. She had just learned that she won best of show for a series of sculptures she made while studying with me. This student is a grandmother - not my typical graduate student. She was thrilled, shocked, excited, etc. It was something nice to learn after a pretty wretched week.

6 Comments:

Blogger Champurrado said...

Amie:

Hurray for you. What a wonderful acknowledgment. No better form of validation than a sincere expression of thanks from someone you touched. As for your native american textile piece, well, so much talent at such a young age.....

8/26/2005 5:53 PM  
Blogger "" said...

Dear Champurrado -
You are sweet but do know that I didn't exhibit so much talent way back then. No picasso, just something less ordinary than my middle class peers.

The phone call from my student was very cool! I am very proud of her and always happy to know that I am doing SOMETHING right.

Will you get to see any of your daughter's collegiate games this fall? Will any of them be televised? If so PLEASE let us know.

8/27/2005 4:16 PM  
Blogger Foilwoman said...

A: Really, I'm glad you got good news. It's always wonderful when someone one has had some influence over does well in an area. Think of the gift you gave that student. And you make a cute little Indian. Foilkid has been doing that in school the last few Thanksgivings, of course. We have some lovely headdresses.

8/27/2005 10:10 PM  
Blogger "" said...

How do they know we don't want to be pilgrims?

Pilgrims got to carry guns (yuck)... and Indians got to wear headresses - maybe that's an easy one for the grown ups to figure.

8/28/2005 1:15 PM  
Blogger Champurrado said...

Amie:

I will probably see few of my daughter's games. She is way upstate in her little cozy college. As for TV, not sure. I'll be surprised if they televise their games. Womens hockey is not quite as popular as curling as you probably know. Speaking of curling, please see Men With Brooms. Leslie Nielson, very funny, some romance. You'll like it. It will make you smile.

8/28/2005 2:03 PM  
Blogger Rurality said...

I see I'm not the only one posting kid pics on the blog! :)

Yep I think we're right about the same age.

Like your blog and your art!

9/20/2005 9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home