View technorati.com Add to Technorati Favorites

Monday, August 13, 2007

c'est la vie

Presently Untitled
mixed media on panel, 24" x 24"
2007

I didn't sleep well last night so I don't anticipate this will be a very entertaining post. Someone was scheduled to stop by the studio today to look at my new work and I think it spooked me. It's very new stuff and everything happening with it has been between me, Mr. dd and the two cats. There is one other friend who has seen it but he was just visiting from out of town so it was more like a drive by viewing...

I just couldn't doze off and didn't want to take anything for my insomnia since an Ambien hangover so something to avoid! It is possible to experience one of those when one doesn't have the hours between one's bedtime and one's morning routine to full benefit and wake up from one's meds. Ahem. I think there are many irresponsible Ambien users out there who ignore this reality and give this very useful and now generic drug a bad name. It has saved me from exhaustion many times since I am a light sleeper - particularly when I am on the road.

Mr dd and I also watched Guinevere, a film about a young woman who moved in with an artist two or three times her age in order to be mentored in how to live her life without the approval of conventional society. There are times when one needs to sleep more than watch an art film but when one can't seem to sleep anyway - what is the harm? Harmful or not it was an interesting film.

A middle-aged mother asked the middle-aged photographer whose loft she found her daughter in - what he had against women his own age... and then she proceeded to answer her question with what she believed to be a sliver of truth - it is the lack of awe a peer would have for said photographer that a young woman feels toward men with more experience? Mr dd said yeah, that pretty much sums it up. I'm glad he doesn't need his woman to be awed by him. Perhaps our Siamese cat is enough? She worships him. It is nice when scene reveals a kernel of truth when it could have settled for
melodramatic hype. I adore Mr dd but we are both human and in full acceptance of those nitty gritties that permeate our life. C'est la vie...

Really...

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger X. Dell said...

Well, if you can get a siamese cat to even acknowledge your presence, that's impressive, let alone devote itself to you. No wonder why Mr. DD doesn't need young girls to provide him with a sense of awe:-)

Drive by viewing? Sounds violent.

BTW, thanks for stopping by my place. You're welcome to return anytime.

8/14/2007 3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it was my pleasure, X.dell. Mr. dd is very good at administering to said Siamese cat's needs. She is spoiled - a state we should all yearn to experience!

8/14/2007 3:48 PM  
Blogger darkfoam said...

oh, goody...
ya'll have met!

i also have not been sleeping very well. one of these days i might try an ambien. i've never taken any kind of sleeping pill whatsoever. i always have this fear that i might not wake up. not unfounded actually since the one time my mother's handicapped sister came to spend the night in in germany (i was about 9) she was given a sleeping pill. not by my mother, but her spouse. she died that night in our apartment. i woke up and listened to her die.
all she said repeatedly was 'until later'. "bis spaeter".
oh well, just memories that were brought up.
i love this particular piece of you and mr dd. your show is the 28/29th of september? i actually marked that date on my calendar.

8/14/2007 10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seem to remember being introduced to the X way back in 2004 when I posted on my mugging in Spain. I remember Doc T commenting on that post (he had excellent advice) and I came across their team blog. I seem to have more time for the blogosphere when I live somewhere where there is no access to a telephone, cable TV, or most other media.

Sorry to hear you aren't sleeping well either. I managed to catch up last night. FYI: the show will be up for three months and there will be a reception every fourth friday between September 28 and Dec 23. I might be a better host and less distracted if you came to the October or Nov fourth fridays - plus they are closer to holidays.

8/15/2007 11:19 AM  
Blogger darkfoam said...

okay, i'll keep that in mind.

8/15/2007 6:19 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

Foam mentioned your sunflower photos, so I came over to see, and... WHY HAVE I NOT COME HERE MORE OFTEN???

I share your sleep troubles. At the moment I'm excited about signing up for a photography workshop, and that = being wide-eyed when most others are snoring. I use Ambien when I travel. It's a part of any trip that I look forward to, but I find that I pay the piper when I get home because apparently Ambien doesn't let you dream... I have absolutely wild and frightening dreams for a couple of nights afterwards.

Your art is wonderful, by the way.

8/16/2007 9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Wiz - I share these questions - why don't I have time to visit these places more often? Its all triage! I am in my garden so much because everything would wither and die otherwise. I spend time on blogs when I should be doing other things and I work in the studio most intensely when it is time to resolve questions that need to be answered because there is a show opening soon.... thanks for taking the time to look at the art. Its all so new I have a hard time knowing if it is good enough so I try very hard not to judge it and I CAN BE A VERY JUDGEMENTAL PERSON when it comes to my art! Its a curse, really.

Its going to be 101 degrees here today so lets dream the dream of cool breezes and light rain.

8/16/2007 9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home