View technorati.com Add to Technorati Favorites

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Summer Vacation 1967

While the rest of the world was experiencing the summer of love I was on a family vacation with my brother, sister and parents. I think we were stopping at most any tourist trap between the Tennessee Border and Chicago but the destinations are fuzzier than the journey, as it often the case with me.

There are "Lupnereque"* photos documenting our experience in Santa's Village where I watched a chicken peck out a Christmas Carole on a mini piano in the deadheat of summer. I remember an underground waterfall somewhere between there and Independence Day. Most of all I remember the humiliation of stopping at some fast food place because they were offering free burgers or ice cream to all the kids who could recite the Pledge of Allegiance from memory.

It was the 4th of July but I don't recall my family - or the nation in general - being in a very patriotic mood! I was asked to go first, as I was the oldest. Stagefright or disinterest got the best of me and I faltered before the end. My brother was distracted with hunger and also failed the test. My 3 or 4 year old sister, who was often told me looked like Mama Cass, recited the entire thing without fail and was the recipient of a patriotic, flag decorated scoop of ice cream.

Everyone was stunned that one so young could recite something so effectively. I was slightly humiliated but most of all surprised. Little sis had many talents we never got to see very often. She grew up quickly and married young. I miss knowing her as a child as I know she must miss knowing her girls as children. I think we should rewrite the Pledge of Allegiance as an anthem to families. The rest of the nation was distracted by another pointless war, sex, drugs and rock and roll, as depicted in the video posted below.


*I've always feared that the writers of the Lupner sketches on SNL somehow knew my family. They are very accurate depictions of the life of DD.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home