View technorati.com Add to Technorati Favorites

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Art and Culture Crossings

Left: the mixed media print I'll be showing in Korea and China next month. I used mixed media on archival digital composite print of my drawings.

I've posted about the wonderful experience I had showing art in S. Korea in 2002. In the meantime an artist I know has continued her mission to create opportunities for international exchanges between American and S. Korean artists. She is an exotic force of nature... capable of moving mountains and organizing artists scattered all over the world. Each has diverse experiences... traveling to Korea and then hosting Korean Artists in the US.

Virginia artists will have work traveling to S. Korea and China next month. I don't know how our team will do it. The dollar is in the loo so there aren't many artists able to afford the trip. I don't think the other people involved have a clue as to what our team will have to endure to get this artwork on the flight and then through customs. We have a forceful leader, I'm telling ya because it is something one cannot take lightly... being responsible for the safety of other artists' work as well as making sure it arrives on time and in good shape so it can be installed in China AND S. Korea! Its harder and can be expensive as moving a mountain. She'll make it happen.

It's a dream opportunity - to travel to China and then to S. Korea again. I just can't swing the money or the time away from my work right now. If I were traveling to that part of the world I think I'd be compelled to stay longer... perhaps work on a residency in Australia, visit Thailand...it is so far away and there is much to learn... plus I have so many friends in Aussieland who love a good glass of wine as much as I do. (The Australians I know don't drink Foster's. Some of them actually really dig Miller Ponies, the Champayne of Beers. If I ever get to Australia I'll be sure to take as many as I can squeeze into my carry on - and that's even harder than moving art these days!")

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger darkfoam said...

may your art travel unemcumbered by the bureacratic border hindrances that one so often encounters these days. and may the force be with your friend...

5/30/2007 1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

after reading the NYT piece today overbooked flights I guess we'll be lucky if our team of artists make it to the east safely and on time!

5/30/2007 3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home