View technorati.com Add to Technorati Favorites

Monday, May 14, 2007

Le Marigny



Mr dd and I wound up at an unintentional sideshow last night. Cafe Brazil featured a cabaret fundraiser to help an artist who lost everything during a fire. They had all the right stuff... colorful rags, youthful flesh and bone - all lit up with silly lights and bad sound. The performances weren't nearly as interesting as the crowd. Best of all I spotted Amzie... like I never left NOLA... it could have been '96, '86 or 1976. That's what I love about New Orleans... all its been through and some things will forever remain the same. Perhaps that's what Anne Rice loves, too. Maybe all the people I see over and over again have always been there and even Katrina couldn't blow them away. Anne, are you out there? That would be a story to tell but since you moved from NOLA before Katrina perhaps you aren't the best one to tell it.

I admit it. Anne Rice got to me. It was 2004 so it took ten years and a stay in Paris to get me to read "Interview with a Vampire." I didn't know it took place in New Orleans and Paris. It made me terribly homesick for NOLA and suspect of many people I saw in Pere La Chaise. They all looked like Vampires! Perhaps that's who we were watching at Cafe Brazil... the bohemian vampires?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger darkfoam said...

sometimes it's worth the price of entry just to see the crowd....:)
right?

5/23/2007 3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would say in this instance it was for a good cause. If they were really bohemian vampires I think they would have been more original.

5/23/2007 4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home