View technorati.com Add to Technorati Favorites

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

way back when

I received an email from someone I thought I'd lost touch with. We've known each other since graduate school and managed to catch up with each other passing through each others' cities every few years. Now we live in different hemispheres and our lives are about different things... and not. She sent me the address for her blog, linked above, and it warms my heart to read it. (I had forgotten she was such a fine writer.)

Fine writing is something I must persist in taking pleasure in since I can't live in Paris in the 20's and run into Hem and the gang at the Closerie du Lilas. Tonite my beloved reminded me of the Hemingway special on PBS...and it was better than expected. During my youth I spent more time reading about Hemingway than reading his works...and now that I've read so much of his work I especially appreciate authentic footage of this great American writer, with interviews, etc.

What would Hem think of blogs? Since he didn't seem to have a lot of patience for living writers (he hated Falkner and Dos Passos) he would probably dis them but secretly post to one. Maybe it would have helped him deal with his depression... unlikely, I know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home