View technorati.com Add to Technorati Favorites

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Eyeballing the future


above: charcoal study of a Thomas Eakins drawing by one of my students

It was time. My eyes haven't been examined by anyone other than a DMV employee since I was a pre-teen. My need for "readers" has progressed from my newspaper read in the am to really most all of the time. I can't talk to people at social events without their faces being fuzzy. I like to see what I'm eating. Whether I use glasses or not in the studio depends on what I'm working on.

And this isn't good. Readers are designed for reading and as they are sliding down my nose while driving and looking and lecturing and teaching it is becoming conspicuous. Yesterday I met with an optometrist. My eyes were examined, scanned, dialated, illuminated, tested (etc) and it was determined that yes, I am losing my long distance vision as well. And no, I don't have complications due to diabetes, etc, etc. I'm glad to know its "normal" but sad that this is something that I am told is irreversible.

It was explained to me that the lens is like an onion skin in reverse and each year a new layer is added to it making it less pliable and less capable of focusing. All you readers out there - anyone know a cure or therapy for "old age" eyes? I'd try just about anything! My french friends do exercises that they swear by but I don't think anyone's eyes have reexperienced the glory of youth yet.

PS. HAPPY SPRING!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger darkfoam said...

tsk, no sympathy from your blind as a bat and bifocally relative here.
okay, well maybe just a little bit of sympathy. afterall, you did listen to me whine on the phone for a long time a few days ago.
okay, here goes.....POOR BABY!

3/21/2007 4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for pretending to understand. Really, I just want to see the way I always did. That's all.

3/22/2007 9:05 AM  
Blogger darkfoam said...

i reckon prescription glasses it is then. glasses do look good on you though. the only bad thing about prescription glasses is that they are usually too expensive to have more than one or perhaps two pairs. and it would be so nice to switch sometimes when the mood strikes.

3/22/2007 9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't BELIEVE how much glasses cost. Its shocking, really. I'm getting progressive lens that will also function as sun glasses. The tragic thing is I'll probably still need to wear readers in the studio since the range of focus will be so limited... that's what the optometrist recommended, anyway.

3/22/2007 10:13 PM  
Blogger darkfoam said...

i've had progressive lenses in germany once. i think i'll do that with my next pair....in many, many years. i really ought to have bifocals since i'm always having to take my glasses off when i have to read or look up close. get something you can live with for a few years

3/23/2007 4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home